Fall 2011 will be the Korean designer’s New York debut. She has previously shown her collection of chic & feminine wears during SEOUL fashion week. Mark your calendar for Thursday, February 17th at Lincoln Center as Wan shows her mens & womens collection for the first time to a New York audience.
So Son Jung Wan- What’s on your mind?
1. I am feeling grateful to those who are helping me with my New York debut
2. Excited to see my friends from Seoul visit New York and attend this show.
3. Color combination and styling.
5. Seeing my friends and family in New York.
6. Vitamin C, Chocolate and Cappuccino. The three things that keep me going during fashion week.
7. Hairstyle for the show.
8. The future business in New York and worldwide expansion.
9. What am I going to wear to the show?
10. Stretching and staying relaxed with so many great things happening.
Born & raised in Korea, Son Jung Wan, majored in Industrial Craft at Sookmyung Women’s
University and after graduating, went to design school at International Mode in Seoul. In 1989, Son decided to open a small shop just across the street from Galleria Department Store so she could house & sell her then small collection of stylish wears. Seeing how successful her store was, Galleria offered her a shop in shop only a year later and from there the Son Jung Wan brand grew. In 1993, Son received the “Golden Needle Award” from the Korea Fashion EditorAssociation and in 2005, was named “Designer of the Year” by Seoul Metropolitan.
The luxurious collections designed by Son Jung Wan consist of impeccably executed separates including tops, skirts, shorts, pants, and jackets as well as dresses all made from the must sumptuous fabrics. With each collection, Son captures the dual nature of women and how they like to dress; at times pretty and feminine, other times chic and stylish & still others sexy.
Today, Son Jung Wan is one of the largest Korean designer labels in the country with over 37 billion won (34 million dollars) in sales for 2009 and a total of 37 stores carrying the brand. Son has participated in Seoul Fashion Week for many years and has shown at Who’s Next, the Parisian trade show.
Son Jung Wan is a woman of many passions. She is a fashion designer, a philanthropist, an avid traveler and a collector of art to name just a few.