There is only one thing better than being “a kid in a candy store” & that is being a woman, of any age, in a jewelry store. Some prefer the formal setting of fine gems sparkling beneath highly polished glass cases, while others are drawn to the quest that only a vintage jewelry shop can provide. A visit to Collectible Glitz offers a nostalgic trip back in “jewelry time”.
Nestled amongst antique shops in Canoga Park, California, Collectible Glitz is a dream come true for owner, Eleanor Goodchild. Her unique shop specializes in authentic vintage jewelry ranging from the Victorian Period to the 1950’s, costume jewelry from the 1920’s to the 1980’s & a small collection of new & fine jewelry.
Walking through the door of Collectible Glitz is truly like experiencing the sweetness of a confectionary delight. The inventory is organized & artistically laid out by color & style inviting the customer browse leisurely. From pearls to beautifully crafted brooches, this shop has it all!
I was able to spend some time chatting with Eleanor & was lucky enough to have her talk about how she started, why she started & have her explain her passion for vintage…
When did you open Collectible Glitz?
The store was actually in operation when I first drove by it in 1994. For some reason I did a U-turn, circled back & parked. I walked through the door & after talking to the owner I was hired as a part-time employee, which led to managing the store for the following two years. In 1996 I had the opportunity to purchase Collectible Glitz, which I did.
I have always loved vintage. Some of my fondest childhood memories are playing with my grandmother’s jewelry.
What did you do prior to being a shop owner?
I was a librarian – a medical librarian at the university level.
At what point in your life did you know this was it?
When I got fed-up with the politics of university business & needed to make some personal decisions.
What is your favorite piece of jewelry that you own?
I really don’t have a favorite. Right now I’m into necklaces & bracelets crafted out of natural stone beads. I love jade!
Where does all this jewelry come from?
I buy 90% of it. The other 10% has been given to me from people I know. I pride myself in only purchasing authentic pieces. I deal with reputable dealers. People come in all the time & want me to purchase jewelry—you get a real feel for who is honest. If I don’t know them, I don’t buy from them!
Who are your customers?
Young and old, alike – It’s nice to see a mother and daughter come in together. Sometimes a young woman will stop in and say “My mother used to bring me here when I was little.” That’s when you know it’s all worth it! A lot of men come in for birthday, anniversary and “just because I love you” gifts.
We also do jewelry repairs.
Do you have any famous clientele?
Patti LaBelle was sitting in that same chair (that I was in) yesterday.
I would imagine that your home is filled with great vintage pieces.
(Laughing) My husband love airplanes. We actually have one hanging from the ceiling!
May I have a quote that sums up your business philosophy?
“I get the best I can afford & make it affordable.”
Collection website: www.collectibelglitz.com