Yes, season 1 winner of NBC’s Fashion Star, Kara Laricks, is on the fast track to becoming more than just a prime time reality name. On Sunday, September 9th, editors & buyers will get to see for themselves what this Fashion Star is all about, but before all that, we at TFL got a small glimpse inside her head to see what’s ONherMind as her debut collection approaches.
1. Iced skim latte with whipped cream – I should probably have one before revealing the #2 – #10 things on my mind.
2. Finding the perfect quirky and interesting models for my debut showing at NYFW.
3. Finding “Kara-approved” spring fabric for final samples – resisting the urge to do the entire collection in black.
4. The fact that my intern is going to see Die Antwoord tonight – and I am jealous.
5. Shoes, shoes, shoes – must find the perfect shoes for my presentation.
6. As it turns out, a tank top I designed looked better on my fit model worn backwards yesterday – need to rethink that one today.
7. In addition, after yesterday’s fitting, I want to add a couple of looks to the collection – hoping I will have time.
8. My birthday! It’s tomorrow.
9. Grateful for the amazing team of people who are guiding me through my first NYFW.
10. The pressure. After winning a show like Fashion Star, proving that I can develop an entire collection worthy of showing at NYFW is very important to me… Now, back to that latte.
Growing up in Kansas, Kara Laricks dreamed of design and life in New York City enriched by culture, colors and different ways of thinking. Her mother encouraged her to make “smart and secure career choices,” so she earned a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education followed by a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction both from the University of Kansas. Laricks went on to teach first in Kansas and later in California. While living in San Francisco, Laricks enrolled in the master’s program in fashion design at the Academy of Art University and closed the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week graduate fashion show with her menswear inspired Spring/Summer 2009 collection.
In 2008 Laricks made her childhood dreams a reality and uprooted herself to New York City. After landing an internship with a women’s wear designer, she was quickly hired as an assistant designer where she remained for a year. Never one to give up on her dreams, Laricks’ entrepreneurial instinct kicked in as she launched an accessories line named Collar, Stand + Tie. Laricks designed and produced ties and scarves in her Lower East Side apartment and sold her wares at local markets throughout the city.
In 2011, Laricks learned of a new show casting emerging designers, NBC’s Fashion Star. Thrilled at the opportunity to design in a public forum, Laricks excelled and won the first season of Fashion Star. Saks Fifth Avenue, H&M and Macy’s all purchased her capsule collections each designed with her signature masculine meets feminine aesthetic. Laricks is currently focused on the debut of her Kara Laricks Spring/Summer 2013 collection during New York Fashion Week in September.